January 12, 2009

KDX220 & Air Terjun Tanglir

I was on the market for a MX or an enduro dual-purpose bike. It gaves me a hard time to decide which one is the best for my purposes. Actually I don't give a damn, I just want to go offroading - with some freestyle jump along the way. So Ah Meng help me on it. He was kind enough to loan me a Kawasaki KDX220 for the weekend. I kinda hesitated to try it at first, never like to loan other bikers bike before, but it's very hard to resist. So I did. I pick to go to air terjun Tanglir, which is between Genting Sempah & Bukit Tinggi. The place may be well know, but to access to the waterfall is kind of difficult, unless you're OK to go trekking for one an a half hour, or got a 4x4 or an off road bike, making the waterfall privately own by you.


I went to the Tanglir waterfall with my family. My invitation to the other 300kmj buddies leave unanswered. Oh... thought of having a biking buddy on the trail would be much more fun. The Ford Ranger is really a multi purpose vehicle. It use to play the same role when I punctured my tyre on the Awana route last year.


We convoyed with 3 cars. Parked at the end of the Sentosa home, there a guard guarding the front gate there, so it's quite safe to leave the car. The whole family jump on the ranger and I took the bike uphill.


Gravel for the appetizer.


The trail isn't a real justice to test the bike. But it's the closest I can think of in the shortest distance.


The family pack are ready for the lift off.


I wish there would be more of this. The trail takes about 10 minutes journey. Around 5km I guess. Some of the are tarmac, some are mud, some a gravel and some just patches of holes that made it so much fun.


I wouldn't be fair if I had the only fun machine. They're roller-coasting too.


The entrance to the waterfall. It's still accessible by a 4x4. But after a few hundreds meters, only a fully mod 4x4 could go in. I wonder if those guys on the RM271K Land Rover Freelander 2 would gave this a try. I've been dreaming on that SUV too much know. But it's unreachable.


Tyre track are still there. I'm still blasting with the bike, err not really blasting, trailing would be a better word. The KDX220 is a good trail bike. I never handle this kind of bike before, but I'm having so much fun on it. I went up until the river crossing. Up there the trail are just fine for a enduro to jump in. I chicken out actually. I don't think I could survive the steep climbing angle and the big rocks. That's the end for me. But I would love to try it if it's my bike that I'm riding.


We all jump into the water here. I can summarized Tanglir as a multilevel waterfall. The highest waterfall reach more than 100ft on the first layer, if I count head it right. This is the 4th layer. The depth is just nice for an adult. You can jump in from layer one to five. But I couldn't manage to find how to go down to the first waterfall.


This is the 2nd layer. The best of Tanglir for us. It's like about 30ft high. The trek to get down here is quit steep. But it's not that hard, but you have to leave behind your picnic basket. The water here aren't deep enough to slam diving, at the end of the waterfall, it's just the high of a man shoulder.


No room for U-turn if you're on a 4x4. Then again, if you on 4x4, it ain't a problem.


Posing on the edge. Way down there is the Tanglir tallest waterfall.


Went checking out the stages with my brother in-law. Looks cool.

We head up from 1p.m. and by the time we get down, it's almost 7p.m. Tanglir really is an awesome place. The water is cold, but you'll get use to it once you jump in. It's worth going to and it's not that far from the city. Most probably like us, you'll own the place for yourself the whole day. The KDX was awesome too. I didn't really push that bike too much. It's still is a buddy's bike. It really made me wonder how the KX250F would perform on this. When I get back down, I've decided to get the KLX450R for my liking. It's an enduro with some MX gens, just a fine balance between those two. When I do, I'll be coming back. Thanks Ah Meng for the loan. Appreciate them!